Kevin Roden | Day Panel | 35 Conferette from 35 Conferette on Vimeo.
Kevin Roden discusses 'What is the soul of the city?' with the panelists:
- Mark Burroughs: Mayor, City of Denton
- Brian Daskam: Owner, Bookish Coffee Roasters; Public Intellectual
- Howard Draper: Commissioner, Denton Traffic Safety; Founder, “Bike Denton” blog; Advocate, Cycling and Livability in Denton; Bassist, Tre Orsi
- Patrice Phelan Lyke, Ph.D.: Commissioner, Denton Planning and Zoning; Chair, Denton Neighborhood Alliance; Lecturer of English at the University of North Texas
- Eric Pulido: Guitarist, Midlake; Denton Historic Landmark Commissioner; Lover of Denton
- Michael Seman: Urban Planning and Public Policy Ph.D. Student; 35 Conferette Daytime Coordinator, Adjunct Professor of Applied Economics at the University of North Texas; Guitarist, Shiny Around the Edges
From this intimate Drink and Think with some of Denton's finest we get down and dirty with what makes up a city. I loved our mayor's definition on what the purpose of a city is
...to accomplish more than any individual could accomplish on their own. It's the synergy of and the dynamics that are formed by groups of people; and groups of people are what move the world. It's what binds us together, and ... groups come together to accomplish something more than anyone would be able to...
I'd like to think that this quote alone parallels the 35 Conferette festival. As an individual entity, 35 would not of made it past day one. With the help of hundreds it was able to survive and touch the lives of thousands. With out a doubt, Kevin and the other six on that panel care for this town and for the betterment of it. I was just able to catalog a small event in the small time-line of this town.